The Best Birthday Party an Eight Year Old Could Have . . .

I cannot possibly refrain from blogging my wonderful niece Kate's birthday party.  Before I begin, it was worth every second of the six hour journey - truly!  For one moment, I wish I was a published, successful author so that I could give adequate words to the images I still see in my memory.  I truly wish I could transport anyone reading this to the actual party so that you can experience it for yourself.  I wish I could describe the emotions I saw flit across my sister's face.

My sister, one of the most organized individuals on the planet, decides to throw an eighth birthday party for my niece and 18 of her classmates!  Kudos for not loosing anyone at the park and for not needing a first aid kit.  Although the one accident prone child may have needed medical attention if the party continued for 30 more minutes.  When my sister had to pry this particular child from the top of the climbing wall - I couldn't help the smile on my face.  My sister showed no signs of disbelief other than that slight shake of her head as if a bug is near.

I had the very best job of taking pictures so I literally had to stand around and take it all in.  Kate looked like she was having the time of her life.  Truly if any of our kids try to tell us that they didn't feel loved growing up I may club them with a happy stick.  Seriously.  As I write this now, so many miles away I'm still thrilled with the experience.  But I think this may be one of those times that you really did need to be there.

I leave with this thought/memory (it may be a while before I blog again my computer has a virus - how in the world do I get so many of them when I rarely look at anything other than Gap, Barnes and Noble and Vera Bradley???) It is always the same at every birthday party.  All the kids want to literally sit on top of the birthday person so they can see the loot.  My sister told the kids there had to be a system.  The system would be (even though some brave child thought he was going to fight with her!) Katie would open each gift according to the giver's first letter of their first name.  No A's present.  All the Bs came forward.  Jody greeted each child and I couldn't help but notice the little boy off to the side that she didn't see.  So of course being the great sister I am, I pointed out his presence.  You could see the wheels turning in my sister's head, why was this boy up there?  The system didn't apply to him yet.  She encourages him to sit back down and she looks up for just an instant.  I'm not sure if she was talking to God or just checking to see if anyone else noticed the chaos and the boy's ability to misunderstand the alphabet.  She caught my eye and grinned.  Ahh, the contained frustration made my day, definitely my week and quite possibly my whole month.  Yes, pics of Kate's party will definitely make the family calendar this year.  Two of my favorites are below:

Kate charged my camera.  She has always been a good sport about pictures!  She and her 18 friends(have I said that number enough?) were throwing leaves at each other.  Hint - it's all fun and games until someone gets a stick in their eye.

Look at Kate's smile, so pleased to be surrounded.  Look at Jody's.  Is she thinking how many more minutes left at this party?  Is she thinking she missed the boat by not being an elementary school teacher?  Is she just maybe realizing I'm in the back laughing at her?

At the time and maybe several hours later, she might have asked herself why she would plan such a party.  I know the answer.  My mom threw me a surprise birthday party once.  There hasn't been a birthday party to top it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment