The Kindness of Others . .

When you move into an entirely different world, you cannot count on the little lady from church who knows your mom to check your library books without a card nor can you go to the "purple park" and know the exact spots of danger Mia is sure to find.  For someone such as myself who is just that stubborn, it is difficult to ask for help or admit a weakness of any kind - can't think of who I have this genetic trait from (psst Nana!).  So here we are in the Woods of Virginia, a good 40 miles away from Barnes and Noble or Mitchael's (Curt is so pleased!) - what does a mom of a toddler do?  Don't get me wrong, the campus/community of our school is very pleasant and provides many opportunities to play.  That being said it isn't enough for antsy, twitchy me, plus I miss my mom and sisters (what a baby, yes I know.).  In looking at the piles, I mean piles of welcome to Virginia literature, I discover a little group called MOPS.  No this is not a cleaning organization, thank God for that.  The letters stand for Mothers of Preschoolers.    I find that this wonderful, magnificent, estrogen filled group, will want to spend time with little old me and wild girl Mia.  The group certainly provides social opportunities, WATCHES MIA FOR FREE - GOD BLESS THOSE VOLUNTEERS, but it reminds me to be a considerate, compassionate human being.  My mom is all of those things and bent over backwards to teach her daughters to be the same way.  Don't get me wrong, she is as stubborn as a mule (I love you mom), but she is genuinely kind.  Children and dogs cannot get enough of her!!!

So this brings me to a point.  Through this amazing group of new friends I join a bible study.  While picking up my book at the selected meeting place (Chick Fil A), I see a young mom with a tike Mia's age.  I assumed she was picking up her book and find that I'm wrong.  She said they were just out for breakfast (Chick Fil A serves breakfast!), not a part of any group.  She seemed so nice and had the same kind of dazed expression I find in the mirror.  I proceed to tell her about MOPS in my rambling way.  That look I saw was similar to my own, she had just relocated from Florida.  She gathers all the information from me and the director of the group and sails off with a teething tot.  I think about her a lot in the next week because I know how much she misses home and not counting on the kindness of others.

A new week comes into view.  A tough one for me because my mom, sisters and nieces just left after a too short visit.  Playgroup with the MOPS is on the schedule.  I arrive at the spot with Mia in tow - a real trooper with all of our adventures.  Who do I see while I'm chasing Mia????  My new friend from Chick Fil A with a great big smile!  You never know when you can lend a hand.  It's nice to take advantage of the opportunity and help someone else up.


*This is Mia after our morning play date at MOPS*

No comments:

Post a Comment