To Be A Little Boy

Sab is six and quite fascinating to me.  He has a way of delivering words but is totally unaware of this skill.  I have accepted that he will embarrass me most days.  Often, I mention his own future children and you know what they say about payback . . .  Here are some of his latest thoughts.

Two different families that we know have had babies since we have moved.  The ladies on campus organize two weeks worth of meals for these moms as a way of helping out.  Curt was working the other day so I had to take Sab and Mia with me while I was delivering our meal.  Sab asked where are we going again?  I answered with the above spiel.  Sab said God, these women better stop having kids or we are going to go hungry.

Sab has recently discovered the term "girlfriend."  Up until this day I was his only girlfriend, even though he has to share me with his dad.  I pick him up from school the other day and he says, "Big day today mom.  I got me a girlfriend."  I ask why, who, how - devastated to learn this.  He proceeds to tell me that this girl in his class was pushed over at the playground.  Unfortunately she fell over and her pants slipped a little.  Sab helped her up and told her that she better cover up her butt crack because people were looking.  Such a smooth operator he is, she just gushed with love I guess.

While at the table the other night, he asked his dad if he could tell him something private.  Curt tried to tell him that it wasn't the time.  Many nights during the week it is a requirement for faculty to eat with the students.  Sab goes along for this adventure because he is fascinated with the older boys.  Anyway, Curt's shh wasn't enough.  Sab tells the entire table of boys, who are trying to use the proper utensil and make it through the 30 minute dinner with no incident, that a student in his class had diarrhea in her pants at the playground and had to wear "boy underwears" the rest of the day.  Curt said all sense of formality flew out the window.

I love this kid.  He doesn't always make it easy, but it is always interesting.  I can't imagine what he will be when he grows up.  This is Sab eating a hot dog at Carter Mountain Orchard in Virginia.  He wanted to know which way Pennsylvania was from the top of the mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment