Sab's First Day of Kindergarten

Anyone who knows our family understands and even at times appreciates the world of Sebastian.  His frustration ever since he was an infant is that the world does not move fast enough.  Curt and I laugh (we can now) about bouncing Sab all over our yard after he was born singing various songs in order to stop his crying and find peace.  I often chose the song with the lyrics Sugar Pie Honey Bunch (thus the name of our site); Curt would favor patriotic hymns and Ozzy Osborne.  He claims he knows no other lyrics to any other songs!  Long story short, we are exhausted from entertaining Sab.  He's never learned to play by himself, shame on us, therefore we are camp directors who are aging rapidly.  I honestly thought that Sab's first day would leave me singing in the aisles and drinking tropical drinks with umbrellas.  Nope, not the case.

I awoke at 4 a.m. with tears and many doubts.  How would he react?  What would I do if he clung to me?  Would he hate it?  Would other kids abuse him because we are not from Virginia thus no accent (no Southern accent anyway)?  The list goes on and on.

Curt finds me at Sab's bedroom taking a pic of the outside.  Of course he is curious as to why I would do such a thing.  If you think about it, even though he was sleeping, it was his very last second of "babyhood".  This day forward, he would have more mature worries - doing well in school, making friends, trying new things, bullies, on and on . . . Curt was tempted to call the resident psychologist but there was no time.  My sister texted and demanded that I get a hold of myself.  Life goes on . . I woke him up and welcomed him to his first day of Kindergarten.  He smiled and sprang out of his bed.

Don't get me wrong on the way there (yes, I drive, not because I'm a hover parent our bus does not pick up here) he asked several times if it was absolutely necessary to go to school.  I answered yes, it's time buddy.  I find out much later from his teacher that Sab was able to comfort another child who had cried all morning.  This child came to life from his offer of friendship.  Wow, life is truly full of surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment